HISTORY of the



Taken from 'Landmarks of Orleans County', Pages 82 & 83

1862 - It was at this time that Capt. George T. ANTHONY, of Ridgeway, began recruiting for the 17th New York Independent Battery, to enter the service for three years. He soon enlisted 170 men and in August they went to Camp Church at Lockport, where the organization was completed and the following officers elected:

Captain, George T. ANTHONY, Ridgeway;
first lieutenants, Hiaram E. SICKELS, George C. COOK, Ridgeway;
second lieutenants, Irvine M. THOMPSON, Barre; Hiram D. SMITH, Ridgeway.

The battery left for Washington October 23, and remained there and at Miner's Hill, Va., (Virginia) through the succeeding winter.

On July 18, 1863, the battery joined Corcoran's Brigade and served with it through that season, on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad, afterwards going into winter quarters at Fairfax Court House.

On July 4, 1864, the battery was ordered to the front and on the 6th reached City Point. On the 8th two sections were ordered to occupy two small earth works within 350 yards of the rebel line. Here they were under fire constantly and became thoroughly accustomed to the whiz of bullets.

On the night of July 25, while superintending the cutting away of trees to unmask one of the guns in advance of the remainder of the battery, Lieutenant THOMPSON received a ball through his thigh while at the head of his squad.

The battery occupied the trenches before Petersburg during the most important engagements of the campaign, and during the winter of 1864-5, was quartered at Signal Hill, where it remained until the close of the war.

The battery reached Rochester June 14, and was there paid off and mustered out.



Organized at Lockport, N.Y., and mustered in August 26, 1862.
Left State for Washington, D.C., August 28.
Attached to Military District of Washington to October, 1862.
Abercrombie's Division, Defense of Washington, to February, 1863.
Abercrombie's Division, 22nd Army Corps, Dept. of Washington, to April, 1863.
Camp Barry, 22nd Army Corps, to July, 1863.
Artillery, King's Division, 22nd Army Corps, to March, 1864.
Camp Barry, 22nd Army Corps, to May, 1864.
2nd Brigade, DeRussy's Division, 22nd Army Corps, to July, 1864.
Artillery Brigade, 18th Army Corps, Army of the James, to December, 1864.
Artillery Brigade, 24th Army Corps, to June, 1865.


Duty at Artillery Camp of Instruction and in the Defense of Washington, D.C., September, 1862, to July, 1864.
Ordered to Join Army of the James in the field at Petersburg, Va.
Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond July 6, 1864, to April 2, 1865.
Battle of Chaffin's Farm, New Market Heights, September 28-30, 1864.
Duty on north side of the James River before Richmond until March, 1865.
Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9, Fall of Petersburg April 2.
Pursuit of Lee April 3-9.
Rice's Station April 6.
Appomattox Court House April 9.
Surrender of Lee and his army.
Duty in the Dept. of Virginia until June.
Mustered out June 12, 1865.

Battery lost during service 1 Enlisted man killed and 16 Enlisted men by disease. Total 17.

Note: The Ironies of Life

The Surrender Of General LEE's Army at Appomattox Court House places two of my ancestors on opposing sides. John CALLARD with the 17th NY (Union) and Peter Carvin MILLER on the side of the Confederacy.

The Union Forces lined the road on each side. The Confederate Forces paraded up the road and deposited their arms, and then unarmed paraded to their respective campsites.

It is said that the Union Forces did not make any disparaging remarks to the Confederates and that the only emotion showed by them was tears.

For them the Civil War was over.

Submitted by: Richard CALLARD on March 22, 2002